Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I made a new friend today

We have days set aside at school each year that we devote to 'Community Service'.  Each class decides what they are going to do and they stick with a project all year long.  It has taken several years to find a way to truly reach out to our community, but the rewards are paying off.  The kids are learning a sense of community and responsibility to our citizens.  This year my class, along with the third graders, are sponsoring an assisted living center in Goodlettsville.  We have scheduled visits where we go and spend time with residents and help the facility in some way.  Today was one of our days and we had such a good time!  We made an autumn craft with our 'new friends', read them some of our own fall poetry, read them a book, played Crazy 8's with them (per their request), and then had lunch with them.

One of the sweet residents really took up with us today.  She loved working with the kids and invited them into her room to wash up before lunch.  We couldn't tell her no, so we made sure that we had a teacher with our students and helped everyone get their hands washed.  Her room was so nice.  Mrs. Hicks and I immediately spotted an antique pie safe!  After all of the kids were settled at lunch I thanked her and told her that I would love to see the pie safe up close.  She was thrilled!!!  She took my back to her room and showed me the pie safe (which was her grandmothers) that she had worked to restore herself. It was beautiful!  While I was in her room she showed me amazing pictures of her mother, father, husband, son, and daughter.

She told me that her son had been labeled as a slow learner when he was in elementary school but had gone on to college (Auburn to be exact) and earned a degree in architecture.  With a very somber look on her face she told me that she lost him in a car accident just after he graduated. Then she said, ". . . and you know that I went to his elementary teachers and principal and told them what my son had accomplished!"

 I think I may have made a new friend today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment